Recent Prior Experience
Students have completed Module 1 of their Pathways Plan exploring who they are as an individual.
Indicators of Learning
- Identify their unique set of interests
- Understand that interests can be developed into skills, talents and abilities
Personal and social capability: Self-awareness
Sub element: Recognise personal qualities and achievements
Indicator of learning: Students describe personal strengths and challenges and identify skills they wish to develop
15 Minutes - Identifying Interests
Lead a discussion on the importance of student’s identifying their unique set of interests and how they can be developed into skills, talents and abilities. These interests can give students an insight into the type of jobs that may appeal to them. Pose the questions:
- What are your interests?
- What do you like doing?
- What are your hobbies?
- What subjects do you enjoy?
- What do you do in your spare time?
- Do you prefer to be with people, or doing things on your own?
- Do you prefer to be inside or outside? Why?
- Are you active or passive?
Acknowledge that not all students have access to out of school activities and use examples of different activities on offer at school during recess and lunch.
Ask students to discuss their findings with their classmates to get their opinion as well.
15 Minutes - Identifying Behaviours and Attitudes
Ask students to complete the Behaviours and Attitudes and Self-Concept activity.
Ask students to login to their Pathways Plan and complete Module 2: My Interests.
- Achievement standard statement
- Catering for individual differences, learning styles, special needs (student diversity)
ABCD Career Competencies: Personal Management
1.0 Build and maintain a positive self-concept
1.1 Build a positive self-concept while discovering its influence on yourself and others