Recent Prior Experience
Students have completed modules in their 5-6 Plan and lesson 1A Welcome to High School.
Indicators of Learning
- learn about the Pathways website and how it can help them to manage their career
- develop an understanding of the term ‘career’
- learn that secondary school is an important part of the career journey.
Personal and social capability:
- Social awareness
- Social management
20 Minutes - Introduction to Pathways
Introduce/reintroduce the Pathways website and tell/remind students about how the website can be used. Ask students to complete ‘A career is…’worksheet. Lead a discussion on what students think a career is. Introduce the concept that a career is about learning, work and life. It is more than just a job. Talk about lifelong learning and how you can learn anywhere – not just at school. The key message is everyone’s career is a unique combination of things they have learned and done. Ask students for their thoughts.
40 Minutes - What is career development?
Introduce the term ‘career development’ and discuss how it has changed over time using Resources B and C.
Using Resource D, ask students to draw a diagram of what they think career development might look like in the future.
Ask students to look at ‘The High Five’ career development messages.
Hold a class discussion on what students think about the messages.
20 Minutes - Pathways website
Ask students to login to their Pathways Plan and complete module one: Welcome to Pathways.
- Achievement of learning outcomes
- Catering for individual differences, learning styles, special needs (student diversity)
- Resource Appropriateness
ABCD Career Competencies
2. Interact positively and effectively with others
2.1 Develop abilities for building positive relationships in life