Recent Prior Experience
Students have completed modules 1, 2, 3 and 4 of their Pathways Plan.
Indicators of Learning
- research and analyse a range of education, training and work options
- develop an understanding of a SMART goal and create three of their own
- learn that goals are more likely to be achieved if they are personal
Personal and social capability
- Social awareness
- Social management
- Inquiring – identifying, exploring and organising information
- Generating ideas, possibilities and actions
- Reflecting on thinking and processes
- Analysing, synthesising and evaluating reasoning and procedures
15 Minutes - Introduction
Pathways is all about your career – about your learning, life and your work. The goals you set need to be about things you enjoy, what is important to you and your future. Goals need to be SMART!
30 Minutes - Activities
As students work through Resource B remind them about ‘The High Five’ career development messages – particularly ‘Focus on the Journey’.
Introduce Resource C Let’s help Jan – Career Action Plan. Have a class discussion about what a Career Action Plan is.
Note: A Career Action Plan assists you to organise your thoughts about your future study, training and work options. This will mean planning the actions that you need to complete to achieve your goal.
Discuss with students the following decision-making tips:
What am I trying to decide? – A job, a course, a subject…
What do I know about me? – Like being outdoors, love animals, good at maths…
What information do I need to know? – What personal attributes are needed for hairdressing? Where do I study to be a biologist? How do I get an apprenticeship?
Which options or choices do I like the most? – Really want to go to university, like to work and learn, prefer a nine to five job…
How do I plan to achieve my career choices? – Need to work harder at school, plan to do work experience in a chosen field, attend a career expo to find out more…
Students complete Jan’s Career Action Plan worksheet in pairs.
20 Minutes - Pathways website
Ask students to login to their Pathways Plan and complete module five: My Career Action Plan.
- Achievement of learning outcomes
- Catering for individual differences, learning styles, special needs (student diversity)
ABCD Career Competencies
4. Participate in lifelong learning supportive of career goals
4.3 Link lifelong learning to the career building process.
Learning and work exploration
5. Locate and effectively use career information
5.1 Understand the nature of career information
5.2 Locate and use career information
5.3 Locate and evaluate a range of career information sources
5.4 Use career information effectively in the management of your career