Recent Prior Experience
Students have completed modules 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 of their Pathways Plan.
Indicators of Learning
- investigate workplace learning options
- identify links between interests, skills, school learning and workplace learning
Personal and social capability:
- Social awareness element
- Social management element
- Generating ideas, possibilities and action element
- Analysing, synthesising and evaluating reasoning and procedures
30 Minutes - Introduction
One of the best ways to prepare for the labour market is to undertake workplace learning in an industry area you are thinking about as a possible future career. Spending time in the workplace can help you understand what is involved in a particular industry or occupation. Workplace learning can bring relevance to your school learning, test your career ideas, improve your self confidence and at the same time provide evidence for your career portfolio. Use the Job Outlook website to find information on over 300 occupations. This can be a great site to help you think about a work placement and future work options. Make a list of careers you are interested in, and the skill level required, and then complete ‘My career profile’ on myfuture, writing down your results against the Skills activity.
15 Minutes - Activities
Log on to InPlace through Pathways and identify specific employers to contact to arrange a work placement that suits your interests and school learning.
Hold a class discussion about the benefits of workplace learning.
20 Minutes - Pathways website
Ask students to login to their pathways plan and complete Module 6: Workplace learning.
- Achievement of learning outcomes
- Catering for individual differences, learning styles, special needs (student diversity)
- Resource Appropriateness
ABCD Career Competencies
Learning and work exploration
5. Locate and effectively use career information
5.4 Use career information effectively in the management of your career
6. Understand the relationship between work, society and the economy
6.1 Discover how work contributes to individuals’ lives.